‘I wanted some excitement’: Trial begins for accused work camp killer Daniel Goodridge

Kyle Warnke woke to the sound of screams. It was just before one in the morning on June 30, 2015, at an isolated oilfield work camp in northern Alberta.

Warnke heard camp worker Hally Dubois plead, “Danny stop, Danny stop.”

He peeked into the hallway and saw Dubois in a kneeling position on the ground. Further down the hallway, he spotted piles of blood-stained blankets.

Warnke locked his bedroom door and pushed a couch in front of it to serve as an extra barricade. When he looked out his window, the scene was even more horrifying.

Warnke’s account was contained in an agreed statement of facts entered at Daniel Goodridge’s double first degree murder trial. It’s expected his lawyer will argue Goodridge is not criminally responsible for the crimes due to a mental disorder. 

Homicide victim Dave Derksen, 37, was killed on June 30, 2015. (Supplied)

Warnke watched camp worker Dave Derksen emerge from the front entrance of an adjacent building, covered in blood. Goodridge was chasing him. He saw Goodridge grab Derksen and pull him to the ground and onto his back.

Goodridge, then a 28-year-old camp cook, got on top of his victim and began to stab him repeatedly in the neck, head and stomach. Then he saw Goodridge begin to cut the victim’s stomach, reach inside and pull something out.

Finally, Warnke watched the killer put cardboard boxes on top of Derksen. He doused the body and the cardboard with liquid and set it on fire.

Just hours earlier, Warnke had spotted Goodridge mopping the floors and thought he appeared normal.  

Not guilty by way of mental disorder

Daniel Goodridge is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Dave Derksen and Hally Dubois. He’s also accused of “indecently interfering with the human remains of Dave Derksen by cutting off numerous pieces of his body,” and the assaults of two work camp occupants and an RCMP officer.

In a Grande Prairie Court of Queen’s Bench courtroom Monday, through his lawyer, Goodridge pleaded not guilty to all six charges “by way of a mental disorder.” Defence lawyer Anna Konye plans to argue Goodridge should be found not criminally responsible for the crimes.

Two psychiatrists for the Crown and one for the defence are watching the trial remotely by closed-circuit television. The Crown experts are expected to testify later in the week.

It will be up to Justice Ken Nielsen to determine if Goodridge knew what he was doing at the time of the offences.

An explicit and detailed agreed statement of facts was entered as the first exhibit in the two-week trial. It does not explain why Goodridge attacked Derksen, but indicated Dubois became a victim when she tried to intervene in the attack.

The court document lists the extensive injuries suffered by both homicide victims.

Hally Dubois, 50, in a posted obituary photo. She died June 30, 2015. (Wilson’s Funeral Chapel )

Derksen was stabbed and cut more than 70 times with a weapon, which others described as a yellow-handled knife. His most serious injuries were a stab wound that injured his right carotid artery and a stab wound to the chest that penetrated his lung.

The five-foot-eleven camp worker who weighed 269 pounds tried to fight back. There were defensive wounds on the 37-year-old’s hands, arms, lower legs and left foot.

According to an autopsy report, Derksen was mutilated after he was dead by “extensive carving.” His left eye was missing completely, along with most of his left ear and portions of his stomach. 

“There were also some reports that alluded to the assailant consuming parts of the body,” the medical examiner wrote.

By the time RCMP officers found the body of Hally Dubois, 50, curled up and facing a wall, she had no pulse. She had been stabbed 11 times on her head, torso and upper left arm. Dubois also tried to fight back. She had defensive injuries on her right hand.

Knife-wielding Goodridge shot repeatedly by RCMP

RCMP arrived at the work camp, located 54 kilometres southwest of Fox Creek, Alta. at 1:50 a.m.

The police knew two people were dead and the suspect was still roaming through the work camp with a knife in his hand.

According to the agreed statement of facts, when officers spotted Goodridge, he looked at them and calmly turned around and walked away. Goodridge crouched behind vehicles, holding a knife in one hand and a spray bottle in the other, inching ever closer to the police.

When he got within striking distance and still refused to drop the knife, the officers opened fire. He fell to the ground and the constables approached him to remove the knife from his hand.

Signs of chaos at the blood-soaked crime scene. (RCMP/Court exhibit )

Goodridge had his eyes closed. When Cst. Bradley Schram touched the knife with his extendable baton, Goodridge suddenly opened his eyes and swung the knife. Schram’s partner fired one more shot. Goodridge fell to the ground and finally, officers were able to get the weapon away from him.

The officers were later cleared of any wrongdoing by the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team.

EMS worker Tina King loaded Goodridge into an air ambulance. When she asked him if he knew why he was in the ambulance he answered, “Yes, I just killed a guy.”

King told him he’d actually killed two people.

When she asked why he had killed his co-workers, Goodridge responded, “I wanted some excitement.”

‘He was a great guy’

The accused’s mother, Jean Goodridge, was the first witness called by the Crown.

She described her son as easy-going, fun and charismatic until he entered junior high in Edmonton. That’s when she began to notice disturbing changes. Over the years, she had him committed to a psychiatric facility under the Mental Health Act at least seven times.

She testified that her son had said he sometimes heard voices in his head. She worried about him when he tried to commit suicide, was withdrawn or talked to himself. Jean Goodridge also told the court her son was very bad at taking the medication prescribed to him by psychiatrists.

Daniel Goodridge’s girlfriend Chandra Cunningham, who also testified in court Monday, said she never saw any evidence of him taking prescribed medication.

Cunningham met Goodridge online and began dating him in Dec. 2014. She described the first five months of their relationship as “very good.”

“He was a great guy,” Cunningham told the court. “Very kind and caring. We didn’t fight. He was very sweet.”

But she said that began to change in April 2015 when he started to act strangely.

“He would disappear for days and he had told me he would have to go to a park to be around trees. He would sleep in the park… It just made him feel good being around the trees. It brought him power. He changed all the pictures on his phone to trees.”

Cunningham said one night Goodridge stayed up all night at her Edmonton apartment. When she saw him in the morning, his shirt was on inside out and backwards. He had gathered up every teal coloured item in the apartment he could find and was laying on top of his collection. He told Cunningham it gave him power.

The couple broke up at the end of May 2015, a month before the murders.

The last time Cunningham saw Daniel Goodridge was on June 20th, when she went to his parents’ home to get some money he owed her.

“He looked horrible,” Cunningham testified. “He didn’t look like himself at all. He’d lost a lot of weight. He looked exhausted.”

She thought he seemed very upset, almost depressed. But when she asked Daniel Goodridge if he had any mental health problems, he told her, “as far as I know I don’t.”

The trial is scheduled to last two weeks. 

Source link

Search your Cities weather below


The Weather Channel

AccuWeather News

Weather Underground

The Weather Network

Most Recent Posts

[su_slider source=”category: 8863″ limit=”30″ link=”post” target=”blank” width=”700″ height=”340″]

Canadian News Headlines

[su_feed url=”http://rss.cbc.ca/lineup/canada.xml” limit=”20″]

Edmonton News Headlines

[su_feed url=”http://rss.cbc.ca/lineup/canada-edmonton.xml” limit=”20″]

Sherwood Park

Sherwood Park is a large hamlet in Alberta, Canada within Strathcona County that is recognized as an urban service area.[7] It is located adjacent to the City of Edmonton’s eastern boundary,[8] generally south of Highway 16 (Yellowhead Trail), west of Highway 21 and north of Highway 630 (Wye Road).[9] Other portions of Sherwood Park extend beyond Yellowhead Trail and Wye Road, while Anthony Henday Drive (Highway 216) separates Refinery Row to the west from the balance of the hamlet to the east.[9]

Sherwood Park was established in 1955 on farmland of the Smeltzer family, east of Edmonton. With a population of 70,618 in 2016,[6] Sherwood Park has enough people to be Alberta’s seventh largest city, but technically retains the status of a hamlet. The Government of Alberta recognizes the Sherwood Park Urban Service Area as equivalent to a city.


Sherwood Park, originally named Campbelltown, was founded by John Hook Campbell and John Mitchell in 1953 when the Municipal District of Strathcona No. 83 approved their proposed development of a bedroom community east of Edmonton. The first homes within the community were marketed to the public in 1955. Canada Post intervened on the name of Campbelltown due to the existence of several other communities in Canada within the same name, so the community’s name was changed to Sherwood Park in 1956.

The Sherwood Park Urban Service Area is located in the Edmonton Capital Region along the western edge of central Strathcona County adjacent to the City of Edmonton.[8] The majority of the community is bound by Highway 16 (Yellowhead Highway) to the north, Highway 21 to the east, Highway 630 (Wye Road) to the south, and Anthony Henday Drive (Highway 216) to the west. The Refinery Row portion of Sherwood Park is located across Anthony Henday Drive to the west, between Sherwood Park Freeway and Highway 16. Numerous developments fronting the south side of Wye Road, including Wye Gardens, Wye Crossing, Salisbury Village and the Estates of Sherwood Park, are also within the community. Lands north of Highway 16 and south of Township Road 534/Oldman Creek between Range Road 232 (Sherwood Drive) to the west and Highway 21 to the east are also within the Sherwood Park urban service area.

Originally posted 2018-10-30 07:06:10. Republished by Blog Post Promoter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *